Saturday, April 26, 2008

Things 1-4 Retro

Obviously I did Things 1, 3 and 4--read about the program, set up a blog and register it on the HPL Learning 2.0 23 Things Log. But I didn't document Thing 2 the way I was supposed to. Since I really, really, want to qualify for the laptop drawing, I'm dotting all those pesky i's and t's. Er, crossing the t's.

Thing 2 was to write about which Learning Habit is easiest for us and which is hardest. At the time I thought that would be too boring for other people to read about. I'll do it here but you don't have to read it.

In case we've all forgotten those 7-8 habits, here they are again:

8 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners
Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning
Habit 3: View problems as challenges
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others

Habit 8: Play

The easiest habit for me is PLAY!. It's so important that every single entry on
this librarian's list of 181 Things ends with PLAY! Play is FUN. Something like the library usage by peeps study took a lot of work to put together but it must have been joyful work.

The hardest habit for me is to organize a learning toolbox. I have a toolbox, but all the stuff in it is jumbled, so the thing that's on top probably gets used the most and the things underneath only if I have time to rummage around in there and find something cool I'd forgotten I had. I also have a hard time keeping the end in mind (Habit #1). I can BEGIN with the end in mind, but I very quickly forget about it as I'm led down one trail after another. Er, why are we doing this again? (just kidding!)

I really, really like a lot of these. I like "Teach/mentor others." I especially like "View problems as challenges." And more. These are all great. Go team, rah rah.

No comments: